Monday, June 13, 2005

MR. AND MRS. TRUFFLE?

Leaving the theater this weekend after screening FOX's new comic thriller Mr. and Mrs. Smith, my friend, Sean, and I had the following dialogue.

Barb: Well, that was absolutely ridiculous.
Sean: But, that's okay sometimes, isn't it? I had fun.
Barb: Yeah, me too. It is the kind of thing Hollywood does really well, that makes European film afficionados act snotty to me when I go over there for talks. It's a worthless piece.....what kind of food would you say that movie was like?
Sean: It was a chocolate truffle.
Barb: I think of truffle as being something a bit more luxuriant and beautiful in itself.
Sean: It was a truffle.
Barb: I think it is more of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
Sean: And it's not like there is anything wrong with that kind of movie?
Barb: Well, not for pagans to make....For Christians, I think it would be pretty inexcusable.
Sean: Hmmmmmmm....
Barb: Because, there are movies that we alone can make. So, we can't waste our time making junk food that anybody can make.
Sean: I think we could have made this film, but, scene by scene, it would show a difference. So, we would hold on the baby moment.

(For those who didn't make up the $51 million audience this weekend, there was the beginning of a touching scene in which the woman of the estranged lead couple, Angelina Jolie, is awkwardly holding a friend's infant. Her husband, Brad Pitt, spots her, and they have a two second moment of, "Should this be us?" But, then, the movie backs out quickly, almost embarrassed that it accidentally almost became about something there for a second.)

Barb: Exactly. If we made that movie, we would be more interested in the marriage issues than the shoot-em-up sequences. We would be more interested in showing how real love makes being an assassin by profession impossible. Then, I think it would be okay for us to do.

---------

I have this discussion annually with every new class of Act One students. There are always those who develop a mounting visceral hostility to the program's insistence, that they should be committed to producing work that will be, in some way, good for the audience. There are always a few students who resent that idea, as though it was some burden they shouldn't have to assume.

"I don't want to make movies for other people. I want to make them for myself" they tell me. Or, "Who says Christians can make stupid comedies, or theme park ride kind of movies as long as they don't hurt people?"

I always tell them, "As soon as we have the cultural momentum back, then, we can aford to frit away our filmmaking efforts in mindless, valueless, idiotic self-indulgence. But, right now, there are enough people aspiring to produce that latter, but very few people aspiring to create work that will heal and help. I don't see us having the luxury of wasting our projects right now. Ask me again in a decade or so.

Anyway, Mr. and Mrs. Smith is vacuous and silly, but fun to watch mainly for the gadgetry, and the undeniable chemistry between the two leads. They are beuatiful talented actors - especially Jolie, who can communicate volumes in one raised eyebrow. It's very violent, but not in a gory way. I can't give it thumbs-up, but I won't pan it either. If you want a couple laughs and two hours of stylish escapism, catch Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

3 comments:

Julie D. said...

I agree with Sean. It was a truffle. I was surprised at the amount of dedication it did have to marriage with both people returning separately to the counselor, both unwilling to give up even though they didn't recognize their love which was buried under five years (six!) of boredom.

And, if a someone (Christian or not) had made the movie the way you mentioned it would have not been as fun, which was the whole point. I think they got just about as much meaning out of that particular genre as they could.

Anonymous said...

well hello there
I just visited your blog about awful plastic surgery and I like what I see..why not get on over to my site at http://www.medicare-cosmetic-surgery.com and take a look at what I have to say about awful plastic surgery

Anonymous said...

I like dotties weight loss zoneI have had difficulty with weight loss in the past myself As a consequence have put together a Weight Loss Hypnosis blog. This is a method that has worked for me. If you get a chance check it out. Take care. :-)