Thursday, June 30, 2005

Getting Infuzed

Click here to read a recent interview I did with Infuze Magazine on-line. A lot of it is my same old schtick (boy am I getting sick of hearing myself say some of these things!), but some of it has a slightly different spin. There are some nice shots of our students at last year's writing program.

You have to register on the site, but I'm, you know, worth it.

Here's a snip I liked...

Q. Why do you do what you do?

Um, because I'm good at it. (Laughs.) I think that's the only answer that makes any sense, frankly. And I wish I could claim that I made that up, but I can't. Flannery O'Connor was asked once, "Why does one become a writer?" And she said, "There's only one reason: because you're good at it." It's amazing how many people aren't good at it who come to Hollywood! (Laughs.) And in Hollywood, you can't just be good at it, you have to be one of the top people.

So I think that's basically why I do it: it's what I was made to do. I'm a writer. And as far as teaching writers at Act One, well, because somebody has to. I long for the day when the next person will come along and take the program to the next level. But right now, it's the thing that I've been asked to do and, you know... I can't get out. (Laughs.)

I'm very leary of ministries that become a person. And everyone's like, "Oh, that's her thing." Well, no. Act One is not "my thing." It's God's thing. I'm just here for now.

Q. I get that. I want to be a professional novelist, and some of those doors are finally starting to open, but it feels like I keep getting sucked back into the journalism thing. I guess it's where God needs us to be right now.

Right. Sometimes it is. It's a funny-looking cross, but there it is. My cross just happens to be shaped like the Hollywood sign. (Laughs.) And the funny thing is, I know a lot of other people would die for that cross. But everybody wants it until you get it, and then it's like, "Eeew, this is not fun." Hollywood is just a town, but it's a weird town. And I love it, because it's where I'm supposed to be. But I have to say... sometimes Connecticut looks real good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ##NAME##, I find it very refreshing to occasionally find a article such as yours with a familiar topic such as ##TITLE##. It somehow ads to ones list of lifes experiences.

I have a soft spot for blogs related to ##LINK## and /or sites that have a central theme around writing tools type items.

Once again, thank you ##NAME##, hope to see more posts from you in the future :-)