Tuesday, October 05, 2004

EMILY MONDAY...A DAY LATE

579

I had been hungry, all the Years --
My Noon had Come -- to dine --
I trembling drew the Table near --
And touched the Curious Wine --

'Twas this on Tables I had seen --
When turning, hungry, Home
I looked in Windows, for the Wealth
I could not hope -- for Mine --

I did not know the ample Bread --
'Twas so unlike the Crumb
The Birds and I, had often shared
In Nature's -- Dining Room --

The Plenty hurt me -- 'twas so new --
Myself felt ill -- and odd --
As Berry -- of a Mountain Bush --
Transplanted -- to a Road --

Nor was I hungry -- so I found
That Hunger -- was a way
Of Persons outside Windows --
The Entering -- takes away --

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that any Emily Dickinson poem can be sung to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas"? I haven't tested this myself, but I've been assured that it's true.

-Jon

Anonymous said...

It's true! and i use this fact in my musical "Oh no, Not emily" which is the story of an academic english deparment excited by the pruchase of an hitherto unknown original poem by emily dickinson. the forgery is unmasked by the one student who actually knows about poetry (as oppposed to theory) who notices that the new poem can not be sung to the yellow rose (although it does scan nicely to the hit tune from "cats"). the resulting song can be downloaded in its full length mp3 splendor at http://www.ohnonotemily.com/bonus.html The "sounds" page at this web site gives a full description of the plot as well a sound clips from every song in the darn show.

enjoy

dan mclaughlin
libraryguy@earthlink.net
http://www.ohnonotemily.com/index.html