Monday, September 20, 2004

EMMY REDUX

I really don't have much to say about the Emmy's. They were pretty embarrassing - not funny, inarticulate, excruciatingly earnest, smugly left-wing.

You know it's a bad red carpet pre-show, when the best hosts have to be reckoned Miss Piggy and Kermit. Message to Star Jones(using the language style you adopted for your hosting duties): "Sistah, don't you go and quit you alls day job, momma!"

You know its a bad show, when you keep escaping to a rerun of Titanic and the season premiere of Charmed on other networks.

I've never seen an episode of The Sopranos, so I don't know if all the accolades are deserved. (We have a thing in our family about having seen enough entertainment in which Italian Americans are mafioso hoods. It's right up there with Irish as drunks, Southerners as bigots and Californians as surfers. We do permit French people as obnoxious, opinionated and over-critical, however. And we can do it without malice as we're half French...) I was very biasedly and unapologetically rooting for my friend,Barbara Hall's show, Joan of Arcadia to win. But the Red Sox also lost two of three to the Yankees this weekend, demonstrating that often iin this valley of tears, the virtuous and deserving go unrewarded...

As I predicted, the gay valentine Angels in America took as many awards as it possibly could. It is an election year, after all. I felt the waves of John Kerry's wince when Tony Kushner blew kisses to "my husband Mark. Maybe soon we can get legally married so you can make an honest homosexual of me!" Was the ensuing clamor, the Emmy attendees cheering, or 2 million Americans deciding to vote Republican?

Anyway, at least the clothes were mostly lovely.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, the Sopranos, is a far superior program to Joan, and much more interesting, theologically, even. Joan may have had a unique premise, but within that premise, it is totally predictable, lots of wisecracks and personal growth within the pre-established arcs and acts of network tv. And the theology? Don't get me started!

Ellyn said...

I've had more chuckles during a root canal.
(There were some nice dresses...green seems to be popular this year.) And then I caught some quality z-z-z-z's on the couch. I'm glad Arrested Development did well. But I would rather have spent the evening with the Simpsons, Bluths et. al.

Anonymous said...

"Maybe soon we can get legally married so you can make an honest homosexual of me!"

When I heard that line, I groaned. Puh-LEASE. I like your take that maybe more people will vote Republican in the fall. :) I also found it funny that no one in the media - that I've seen thus far - has made a comment about that line. I haven't looked at many conservative sites, yet.

As far as Joan of Arcadia? Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

If you're a fan of LOST, check out tv lost clue

Anonymous said...

free and easy internetjob for everybody in the world SELFHTML

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
yahoo horoscope
It covers yahoo horoscope related contents.
All the best!

Anonymous said...

How many times have you just been out wondering about the world wide web and thought how many possible different topics there are covered. Strange things, like even Script host, that just pops into my mind from out of nowhere and then I had to go off and find out more about it. It is so vast this huge territory of space.
Script host