Friday, March 11, 2005

DAMAH WEEKEND

Here's a heads-up about a cool thing going on in L.A. this weekend. The Damah Film Festival is making its Los Angeles debut, having been an annual event up in Seattle for the last several years.

Damah highlights short films that examine spiritual experience, giving awards for the best projects in categories determined by project length.

One of the smart decisions made by the team behind Damah, was to enlist top Hollywood filmmakers and critics as judges and seminar leaders during the festival. This has pushed the quality level of the submissions and made the event a competitive venue for lots of young filmmakers who would otherwise not have turned their attention to producing overtly spiritual projects. Smaht, as we say in New England.

Events like Damah have an indispensable role in preparing the next generation of filmmakers who want to talk about the transcendant, but who need to get their artistic and professional chops together first.

Having just completed an "overtly" Christian screenplay that I was hired to write, I suddenly have a whole lot to say about the business of putting our sub-culture stories on screen. I think we've all been thinking about it in the wrong way. The answer is not to try and soft-peddle the Christian stuff. The answer can only be to push it. If we make Christianity something in the background, we are lying about what it is. ESPECIALLY if we are telling a story about a Christian hero. If you strip God out as the primary motivator for the radical decisions Christians make, you make us into social workers, or just nice people. This is another kind of lie.

If you know what I'm talking about, you know what I'm talking about. And what I'm saying is very radical in terms of the trajectory of the thought of Christian filmmakers out here. I hardly know myself anymore on this subject.

I think this is what Ron Austin has been meaning all these years, only I couldn't hear him yet.

Anyway, check out Damah. If you can't come, pray for it.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your site is quite interesting - work from home business- Keep up the good work. My domain is work from home business. please check it out.

Anonymous said...

I have seen a lot about start home based business.

See how a 33 yr old ex-bouncer replaced his income and learned even more about start home based business

Seriously, It only took about nine months. There is a lot of hype out there about start home based business so don't get overwhelmed.

It's real though. A sixty year old industry that does $100 Billion a year in sales. Isn't that worth ten minutes of your time?

Click Here Now

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I was recently doing a search through blogs for the phrase business business business from from from home home home honest honest honest internet internet internet opportunity opportunity opportunity successforfreedom.com work work work. I happened to come across yours even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I still decided to read your blog a bit, and I just wanted to say that you have a good thing going here. Anyway, I've only just recently started a business business business from from from home home home honest honest honest internet internet internet opportunity opportunity opportunity successforfreedom.com work work work website, and I'm searching blogs trying to find ideas. Feel free to visit the site when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, Eric.

Anonymous said...

Geetings##NAME##. Makeing an automatic monthly income excites me.
Your ##TITLE## arrested my attention as it was listed with income
I am dreaming of that Six Figure Income searching the net with ##LINK##
to earn from Internet Marketing. Iwill be revisiting your ##TITLE##

Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

Anonymous said...

How I made $77 million in 2-years--and you can too.

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

It's time to take charge of your future and independence by having your own business!

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice site. I was out looking for "the atkins group urbana il" and found your blog in the process.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

You can find some great information about trace atkins chrome video right here http://atkinsdiet.find-it-first.biz in case anyone is interested.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for livin' la vida low-carb jimmy moore and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though.

Very nice.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on Alvidar for weight loss, came across your blog...good info, you might find mine of interest weight gain,http://www.mailbag.ws/alvidar.htm

Anonymous said...

One of the better results I saw from my fasting experience was that I have more self control over my eating habits. I have always been a binge type of eater. After my fast, I felt like I could restrain myself easier. It is proberbly a mental attribute. I mean I can go without eating for 7 days then I sure can keep myself from eating something I shouldn't.
Link to this site. weight loss using hypnosis

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your comments. I have a free movie downloads site I think you might enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Our Paid great home based business opportunity puts you in position to be just like the 'big boys' -- and our basic-level FREE great home based business opportunity gives you the chance to 'test the waters' without any startup investment

Anonymous said...

Hi, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a web site. It pretty much covers video downloads related stuff.
Come and have a look if you get time :-)
Over 15 billion files - Instant access to the largest network on the planet! Watch what you want when you want it.
250 times faster than any other site!
video downloads

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I love your site! I will be visiting it regularly from now on too.

Regards,
money fast online make

Anonymous said...

a great opportunity, no selling, no phoning, no recruiting PERIOD!