Friday, September 02, 2005

Working the Graveyard (Stick) Shift

I was searching for a late night job that would leave my days free to write -- non-stimulating work, somewhere I could wear grey sweatpants and my “Jesus: That’s My Final Answer, Regis!” tee-shirt. Who doesn’t love a timeless pop culture reference spun into a religious ad?

I discovered a business called Autopilots, Inc. looking to hire late-night chauffeurs. The owner is a guy named Barry who bought collapsible motorbikes from Italy. The bikes are sixty pounds of lean mass, three percent body fat, and fit inside a zippered black bag. The company exists as a unique service. (1.) Someone guzzles too much happy juice and gets drunk. (2.) In a stupor, they call Autopilots and within thirty minutes a driver arrives on a motorbike, collapses it, and places it in the trunk of the alcoholic’s car. (3.) The driver takes the customer home in their own car, preventing them from having to retrieve their vehicle the next day. The idea is as smart as lowfat Funions.

Barry wanted me to start right away. I shared my main concern about accepting his kind offer. “How many cars will have a stick shift?” I asked with reservation. I had learned to drive a stick but that was when I was fifteen, young and stupid. What does a fifteen-year-old know? Barry said that in the thrice years since he’d started the company, maybe four cars had a stick shift. No problem. “Besides,” he said, “We drive upscale clients – agents, lawyers, tax collectors – and most of them own Jags and Beemers.” I had no idea what Jags and Beemers were, but it sounded British so I didn’t question it.

I would earn one-third of the listed fee, plus tips. In a good night, I could expect to pull down about a hundred sheets. A hundred big bones. A hundred screech owls.

I nodded blankly. I wasn’t hip to Barry’s lingo but I respect anyone with a foreign accent.

The first evening we trained and it was all-good. We worked a gala opening for a store named Ocean, though it probably should have been called Notion. For the life of me, I couldn’t tell what the owner was selling. It was an abandoned West Hollywood storefront on Melrose with great track lighting and a couple of chrome stools. Flamboyant people like you see on Bravo mingled, sipping champagne and making small talk. I overheard one woman saying – in an opinion supported by viewing Michael Moore movies – that the war in Iraq was “for oil.” That caused everyone to toast their champagne flutes, WeHo’s version of a high-five.

The night was a bust financially. No one needed a designated driver. I went home with nothing in my pocket but a lint-covered Chicklet. Still, it was fun watching people watch me do my job. Passerby’s were mystified observing a motorbike collapsing into a bag.

The second night I got my first call at ten p.m. I was psyched. I sped up to the W, a hotel too hip to be bogged down with vowels. I stood outside the building and watched young ladies with A and B-sized busts getting turned away by discriminating doormen. Probably for the best. If you don’t have cash to splurge on silicon, you probably don’t belong at the W. After thirty minutes of standing around, I called Barry and asked for the name of my client. He neglected to get that nugget of trivia.

Barry left four messages on the alcoholic’s cell phone before telling me to turn around and go home. All in all, my first ninety minutes on the job yielded exactly no sheets, no big bones, no screech owls. I was working on commission, which is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “getting the shaft.” I popped that dirty Chicklet in my mouth and chewed my frustration away.

My next job came at 2:00 a.m. when Los Angeles bars close and liquor stores experience an economic boom. Four intoxicated frat dudes needed a ride home. Now I’m not a racist, but there is one people group I hate across the board – young white guys I don’t know.

I reluctantly entered their sports car and there it was. A stick shift. I was as scared as a bounty hunter at the dentist. When I get intimidated by an overwhelming obstacle in life, my natural instinct is to immediately chant this affirmation – “You cannot do this. You are incapable of this task.” There you have it. I become absolutely convinced I have no ability to perform the task at hand.

I put the gear in reverse. No problem. Then I pushed in the clutch and tried to shift it into first. The car stalled. Immediately, an odor resembling “burned clutch” filled the car. The owner got sloppy-angry. He started cursing at me over the music of rapper 50 Cent, the volume so booming you could hear every inarticulate nuance.

The vehicle stalled in the busy intersection of Desperation and Anger. The “dudes” in the backseat cussed at the awful stench. They suggested that I -- now responding to the name Senior @#$% -- jump out of the car and let them drive home, drunk. My eyes narrowed as I considered their tempting offer. “No,” I determined, “In the interest of public safety I will square my jaw, clench my diaphragm, and press on.”

Forty-five minutes later I completed the twenty-five minute trip. Since I had probably burned out the clutch of his fifty-thousand dollar car, I didn’t anticipate a tip. They cursed at me and gave me five bucks.

As I unfolded the motorbike for the hour-long return trip (they maxed out at 30 MPHs), I started to wonder if this non-stimulating job was for me. I was not overwhelmed by the five bucks of profit. Was this truly the glamorous life of a Hollywood writer? Would I be able to write about this night on Barbara Nicoloi’s blog? Could I go home now?

No. Barry called and offered me one more pick-up. It was four a.m. I was giddily exhausted but decided to give this career one last go. I drove up to Silverlake and picked up two drunken jokers. Their car was neither a Beemer nor a Jag, but rather a Mazda GLC that made my ’95 Corolla look like the car all the kids are talking about these days. Sure enough, by the end of the hour-long drive, the drunks gave me a gratuity-free thank-you and went on their way.

The night was a bust. I was winded and exhausted, topped by broken and bruised spirit. The morning sun was already seducing the Los Angeles skyline.

I tried to look on the bright side. But then my motorbike choked like a dyslexic at a Spelling Bee. The bike ran out of gas. I kicked in the reserve supply, as I had been taught. There was nothing left in the gas tank, save a few broken promises. I called Barry and told him I needed to be picked up. Angry and alone, I was left with nothing but my thoughts. Delirium became my closest confidant. I sat on the sidewalk of a street called Sawtelle, a name better suited for a young kid in the inner-city.

I had plenty of time to ponder the concept of time. I reflected on my life before I started this ridiculous job, two days ago. I decided to quit this demeaning job and return to my bed, where all honest people spend the night. The next day I would look for even more non-stimulating work. Maybe, with just the right amount of luck, I would find something disgracing, devastating, and debasing. One can dream

I’d have to find another job that would allow me to wear my pop-culture parody Christian tee-shirts. I’ve got another great one hanging in my closet -- “Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking?” That one's really gonna minister the socks off this town.

45 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great resource, I was searching for outdoor lighting and ran into your blog. My prayers were answered and I found the perfect outdoor lighting project.

Anonymous said...

This has got to be one of the top 10 blogs on here. I am adding it as I type. I have a site that pretty much coversmake money being online related stuff. Check it out if you get a chance

Anonymous said...

Hey..I found a company that pays you to shop at Wal-Mart or McDonalds..Check it out.....indiana mystery shopper

Anonymous said...

Hey i noticed your site is about united kingdom immigration i found somewhere if your in the UK that allows you to send spoofed sms!

send a TXT "EN SPOOFING 07712345678 Hi i really fancy you" to 69911, Hi i
really fancy you is sent to 07712345678 and the user gets a standard reply.

Changing 07712345678 with the number you want to send too!

The SMS Costs £1.50 per msg but its really good!

I hope you enjoy this :) i did so pass on the word!

Remember its UK Only

Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about business business business business from from home home home internet internet internet make make money money online online opportunity opportunity successforfreedom.com work work related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful thank you which was consulted very much

But in blog of my site, when that has been written about information business should drop in freely.

business and economy

Anonymous said...

Come and check it out if you get time :-) There is some of the most

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information. I have found another site at weight loss program.

You may find it usful as well.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about la weight loss and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about la weight loss

Anonymous said...

Chek this place out it helped me office electronics

Anonymous said...

If you're a fan of LOST, check out lost tv listing

Paul said...

I like your blog. I hope you take a second to check out my resell niche product site, resell niche product It's pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

you have an interesting blog fount the info very usefulI i have a diet drug site. Its full of useful diet drug related stuff.
come and check it out if you get chance
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous said...

Good Marketing information.

Advanced Business Marketing

More business marketing information you can use.

Anonymous said...

I just started a vw dallas blog

generationysuccess said...

HELLO......I was searching around the search engine and here I am. So I feel like dropping you a line.

I recently launched my own website. Every month I interview success people (millionaires, memory experts, motivational speakers, etc) and you can model their success. It has a lot of success coaches program related knowledge. Drop by my success coaches program website when you have time. Cya later.

Anonymous said...

As many links as you want!

Anonymous said...

Great Blog
For More Marketing Secrets

Advanced Business Marketing

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about cursus or email or marketing You should check it out sometime.

Anonymous said...

Came here good site.

I own an adult adult adult adult adult dating dating dating.info online online online personals personals photo photo site check it out if you fancy dating

adult adult adult adult adult dating dating dating.info online online online personals personals photo photo

Anonymous said...

able to show your website to literally millions and millions of REAL LIVE PEOPLE.

Anonymous said...

Learn about Affinity's amazing New One Day DietTM and Lose and SnoozeTM Weightloss Products

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a web server hosting site/blog. It pretty much covers web server hosting related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about rca portable dvd player drc600n. I also have a Blog/Website about rca portable dvd player drc600n which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

Anonymous said...

I love your green bay packer stuff blog! Check out my green bay packer stuff forum for lots of great green bay packer stuff info.

Anonymous said...

If you know anyone interested in health club gyms, have them stop by my site.

People who study health club gyms tend to enjoy this program.

Anonymous said...

One Day Diet

Anonymous said...

Learn how to quickly create an RSS feeds with our RSS feeder, for high link popularity and ultimately better search engine rankings.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about secret to their success and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about secret to their success so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

Anonymous said...

Just visit 3 Marketeers Productions LLC and fill out the short form, you'll be able to unsubscribe anytime

Anonymous said...

I look forward to Your visit!

Anonymous said...

Have You Ever Seen sales associate

Anonymous said...

Lose and SnoozeTM - Weight Loss Guaranteed

Anonymous said...

good info

Anonymous said...

Hey how are you doing? just letting you know that someone from Central America read your blog!
This is my site:
cheap affordable web hosting
Regards,
Charles

Anonymous said...

Hi there, you have a really useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on as seen on tv juicer I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv juicer. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Great blogsite you have here! Interesting information. Please come and visit mine sometime work from home

Anonymous said...

Would you like a free 17 Lesson e-Course that shows step by step how to remove spyware and adware using free anti spyware and anti adware software. Visit detecting spyware to get it.

Anonymous said...

http://www.yourweddingbliss.net Hi I like your blog, check out this site when you get a chance. Its do do with las paris vegas wedding related stuff. las paris vegas wedding
thanks for the read.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my auto insurance quotes online site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a aerolite travel trailer rv advice
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a aerolite travel trailer rv advice
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my best auto insurance rate site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my billing from home insurance medical site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

low calorie diet One of the most important tips for weight loss is to know when to have your last meal. Learn more. Please visit low calorie diet