Friday, December 09, 2005

NARNIA - This Weekend!

Everybody go.

No, not next weekend.

Now. Today, or tomorrow. Or Sunday. But THIS OPENING WEEKEND.

Everything depends on how a movie opens. The future distribution pattern, future advertising, the DVD release plan, the television rights. EVERYTHING.

Go. Bring your families.

Honestly, there is a weird thing going on in the secular media to HYPE the upcoming King Kong movie. I actually read an article last week to the effect that, Kong could be the BIGGEST, MOST HUGE, FANTASTICKEST BOX-OFFICE MAMMOTH IN THE HISTORY OF THE MOVIE BUSINESS!!!" This kind of talk has my culture wars senses tingling. Could it be that the secular folks are really hoping Narnia with its damn annoying Aslan-Jesus is a fringe blip that will be quickly obscured if they can only make any other movie the focus?

It would explain why we are getting drowned in heralds for the sodomites in saddles fantasy, Broke Back Mountain and also the ear-piercing evangelism for Jackson's "I need three hours to do what the 1933 classic did in two " Kong. Having already wasted nine hours of my life surviving Jackson's self-indulgent excesses, I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the Kong worship might be to drown out the noise around the Christian movie.

Just thinkin' out loud here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,
Please point in the direction of your description of what during your 9 hours with Peter Jackson. I'd love to read about it...

Anonymous said...

Barbara ..

I haven't been to see a movie on opening weekend since Star Trek: Wrath of Khan. I find the whole process childish and self-indulgent; emblematic of what is wrong with Hollywood and culture today.

Actually, I am waiting until the 2nd weekend, with the hope that I can contribute to Narnia's 2nd weekend beating Kong's opening.

Funny thing is, despite the hype, I haven't heard anyone excited about Kong, but lots of people excited about Narnia. But I hang with a different crowd!

Anonymous: I think Barbara was talking about the three Lord of the Rings movies, although I disagree with her characterization.

Anonymous said...

the Kong movie has been hyped up all along, ever since the movie trailer was released. Of course any one would want their movie to be #1 at the box office. I don't think the fact that Narnia is a "christian" movie, bears any significance with the push and heavy advertising of Kong. If it was any other movie that had been #1 at the box office the previous weekend, studio execs would still be pushing for 'Kong' to be #1. That stays the same. Be realistic people. Stop over-analyzing it.

Anonymous said...

Narnia was everything I had hoped for, and then some - a true classic! So true to CS Lewis' intent, thanks to the involvement of his beloved step-son, Douglas Gresham. I would encourage anyone to see this story of sacrificial love.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was just messing around and found your page!
Very nice.
If you are interested, come see my movies to download for free related site.
It isnt anything huge but you might still find something of interest.