Saturday, June 19, 2004

WHEN REAL LIFE IS CREEPIER THAN STEPFORD

A few friends and I caught a screening of the Frank Oz remake of The Stepford Wives last night. As my friend pointed out mid-way through the piece, "Satire is no longer possible in this society." I think that is very true. How can you satire a society that is addicted to Fear Factor, WWF Smackdown and thinks that breeding human babies to suck the stem cells out of their brains is (yawn), no big deal?

The original Stepford Wives was creepy, not only because the filmmakers had better creative control than Oz and collaborators, but also, because there was still some notion of normal domesticity to exploit for satire. This is not the case any more.

So, this new Stepford, conscious that it isn't hitting the same dark chords as the original, elects to satirize the only somewhat stable target still left on the cultural shelf: Christians. The new Stepford, CT is a place where Christian men - as white as the pure driven snow (READ: BECAUSE CHRISTIANS ARE RACIST!!!) - maintain a shallow, phony existence to compensate for the fact that they are all underachieving wusses.

So biting. So prescient is Hollywood!

It was amazing to me how the film - even with its premise of ridiculing middle-class morality, still had to have a gay couple in the mix. They established that the butch-gay "husband" was evil by making him a, you know, Republican. (BLECK! YUCKY! EEEEW! WHAT A PERVERSION OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND TRUE!!!).

But enough about the annoying, election year agendizing of the project.

From a purely art standpoint, this piece fails early on in the script level. It isn't funny enough. It isn't creepy enough. It isn't clever enough. It just isn't enough. It should never have made it out of the pitch stage. Someone should have said, "And after we have recreated the whole cool look of the perfect fifties suburbia - then, WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?

Pass. Major pass.




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

search web master ref gettingsiteindexed.htm forums learn from the pros discuss domain names, webmaster help files and more all 100% free search web master ref gettingsiteindexed.htm

Anonymous said...

Hello! What at great blog you have going. I'm new to blogging and I am trying to build up my visitors. I blog about internet marketing email. I am also offering the eBook "Adsense Empire" to my visitors.... Stop by & get your copy today

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Nice little blog you've got going on there.

Keep it up!

This might interest you if you're after some more web site traffic The contents of this site will explode your hits! Auto surf and recieve 50,000 credits free - Join free! free report trafficfree report traffic

Anonymous said...

mani love this blog, its all abouthosting shared site web i visit it every day i think everyone that visits this blog should bookmark it and visit everyday like i do!!!
i also like this site hosting shared site web it has lots of help full tools and resources. also be sure to check out this site as well hosting shared site web

Anonymous said...

Hey there, you've got a great blog here.
I have a site. It pretty much covers help find baby name related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Very informative blog site
I have a website. It pretty much covers baby girl meaning muslim name related stuff.
Come and have a look if you get time.
baby girl meaning muslim name
Cheers for now :)

Anonymous said...

Good comments. But, I do not agree with most of them. People sure have a lot of time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

Hi blogger:)

It is imp that my visitors receive some great inforamtion.. That it what We was thinking about.. So We shall place Ur web blog URL on mine.. Mine is yet new with few great info...... They will like it too..

Regards,
extra make money

Anonymous said...

Searching blogs for traffic now.
Came here. Interesting blog.
http://www.1st-choice-4-website-traffic.com
traffic now

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work and continue posting great information. I have a website on home equity loans
that I think you will find of particular interest and you would love to visit at home equity loans .

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my wiggleyville pet products chicago site.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my touch dog toys site.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my wholesale weight loss product site.
Good luck!